Friday, August 19

A Life Unplugged

I think I'm going to do a personal experiment. I'm going to go one week with my home computer turned off. Granted I do not plan on making that permanent, but I am curious as to how this will affect my life. I'm hoping it will give me a new perspective on the time I spend on my computer and strengthen my resolve to use that time for edification. I already recognize that I use my computer a lot, and I also realize that my time on the computer is used in a variety of ways some constructive and some not so much. What I hope to gain is a better appreciation for the amount of time that I spend on the computer so that I will be more disciplined in my usage.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, here's a copy of the article that inspired this all. :)

Enjoy!

A Life Unplugged

by Kara Schwab

I believe I am the last human in America who does not own a cell phone. People ask me for my cell number all the time. You should see their faces when I tell them I don’t have one.
“What do you mean?” they’ll usually say, thinking they didn’t hear me correctly.

“I don’t own a cell phone.” I say again, trying to sound as normal as possible.

“You don’t own a cell phone?” they repeat in utter disbelief.

“I don’t own a cell phone,” I say a smidge slower, over-ennunciating my words so that I’m extra clear.

“Wow. You don’t own a cell phone.” They’ll undoubtedly repeat again, shaking their heads as if I just told them I was homeless. “Huh. That’s ... wow. How do you do it?”

“Do what?” I ask, playing dumb to their dumb question.

“I mean, how do you survive?” they ask with total sincerity, as if living without a cell phone is like living in the desert without any water.

To be honest, I wonder if sometimes my life would be easier with a cell phone. But then I wonder what exactly an “easier” life means. People would be able to reach me at any time of the day or night. So really, life would be easier for other people if I had a cell phone. I think my life would just be busier.

As it is, my home phone rings off the hook. Have you ever tried having a serious conversation on the phone with two toddlers trying to climb your legs as if they were tree limbs? If you were a fly on my wall, you’d hear my side of a phone conversation go something like this:

“Oh, wow. I am so sorry to hear that. That must be—hang on a second—get off the table now and first take the scissors out of your mouth—I’m sorry you were saying? Hmmm. That’s rough, wait, one more sec—I am on the phone and yes, as soon as I’m off I’ll make you some popcorn—Boy, I’m sorry, you were saying? Oh yes, that’s just awful. What can I do to help—Wait. Absolutely not, you may not ride your tricycle nude. Put your clothes back on this minute—I’m sorry, I’m back. Yes, that must be so hard for you.”

Needless to say, in this season in life, I don’t really enjoy talking on the phone. It actually makes life harder for me. Email—now that’s the best way to reach me. So my friends tell me I should get a hand held raspberry, blueberry—some sort of electronic berry thing that is portable that allows you to check your Email. Initially, I thought this could be a good idea. But when I’m out and about, do I really want to be checking my Email? Can’t my Email wait? Can’t yours?

Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote about this in The Cost of Discipleship in the early part of the last century; clearly a prophetic warning: “Earthly possessions dazzle our eyes and delude us into thinking that they can provide security and freedom from anxiety. Yet all the time, they’re the very source of all anxiety.” Of course, when he wrote that in 1937, he wasn’t thinking of cell phones or Email or electronic raspberries. Yet how true his words are today in reference to technology. It’s amazing how these gadgets were created to enhance life, but often, people end up feeling oppressed by them.

In his book, Freedom of Simplicity, Richard Foster writes, “The pace of the modern world accentuates our sense of being fractured and fragmented. We feel strained, hurried, breathless. The complexity of rushing to achieve and accumulate more and more frequently threatens to overwhelm us.”

I don’t know about you, but I can relate to feeling breathless. And sadly, what takes my breath away most of the time isn’t a sunset or my husband’s handsome face, but the 15 new Email messages or the eight new voicemails I have.

I remember a couple years ago feeling breathless one night because I was trying to get my girls into bed quick so I wouldn’t miss a show on TV. I was angry when I realized I missed half of it. But sitting there on the couch, I started to hear the whisperings of the Holy Spirit asking me if this was the best use of my time. How did this pull of TV’s mindless entertainment become stronger than my desire to read one more book to my little girls? I felt so ashamed.

Neil Postman in his book, Amusing Ourselves to Death, writes about the dangerous distraction of television, saying, “In the age of technology, spiritual devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than from one whose countenance exudes suspicion or hate. …When a population becomes distracted by trivia, when cultural life is redefined as a perpetual round of entertainments … then a nation finds itself at risk; culture-death is a clear possibility.”

My husband and I decided to pull the plug on our television that night. The first few days felt like I was going off crack-cocaine. It was tough. But soon I didn’t miss it at all. I loved the extra time I had. What would you have time to do if you turned off the TV? What if you filled that time with doing nothing? Or with being still before God?

Charles Spurgeon was a mighty British minister in the late 1800s. I keep a copy of his book, Spurgeon’s Gems, on my desk. The following “gem” relates to this concept of being still: “Some persons say they cannot bear to be an hour in solitude; they have got nothing to do, nothing to think about. … Let me give him the word Jesus, and only let him try to think it over, and he shall find that an hours is naught, and that eternity is not half enough to utter our glorious Savior’s praise.”

If Spurgeon thought that back then people couldn’t stand to be silent for an hour, I bet he’d think people today couldn’t handle being still for five minutes. I’m not even sure if I’m able to hold the same train of thought for five minutes. My prayers often sound like this: “Lord, teach me Your will. Help me to follow your plan. To really focus on You … Wait, did I defrost the chicken?”

But unlike those in Spurgeon’s time, solitude is difficult to grasp not because we have nothing to do, but because we have too much to do. Too much to think about. Too many technological tools and gadgets reminding us.

Solitude is hard to come by. It must be intentionally sought after. It may require unplugging some things where you live. And even when you do, embracing solitude is a disciple that may take some getting used to. I keep Brother Lawrence’s book Practicing the Presence of God on my nightstand. It’s full of insights into praying without ceasing and learning to be silent before God. I must say, I’m still learning, because usually, I find myself practicing the presence God right into snoozeville. Note to self: do not attempt to be still before God while horizontal.

Finding a balance with technology is key. If it can enhance your life without overwhelming it, you’re good to go. But it can’t hurt to take a break from it now and then. Send a letter instead of an Email. (Believe it or not, stationery is still sold in many stores). Talk less on the phone and more in person. Turn off the TV and read a book. Spend less time on iTunes and more time singing to God. Take a sabbatical from surfing the Net and try being silent before the Lord of Lords. Be still and call upon Him now. You don’t even need a cell phone.

11 comments:

taryn said...

WOW! AMEN to all of that.

While reading this article, I found myself chuckling a lot to myself because it sounds just like me. It's kind of funny that you posted this article when you did, because I won't have the internet at my apartment in Bloomington ALL of next week until Insight comes and hooks it up on Friday. At first, I thought I might die, furiously trying to come up with other sources of the internet and seeing if I could move their appointment up sooner in the week. That right there just proves how much I rely on these communication sources that the world makes me think I can't live without.... and I fall right into it. After reading this article, I think I CAN wait until next Friday.

Also... interestingly enough, Wayne Banwart came a few Wed. nights ago to Morton and had the Family Night message on "Internet & the Media." Kristi posted on this, if you will recall, but I never gave many of my thoughts. He talked about how the Internet CAN be an excellent source of knowledge and can even be used for edification... and for its typical communication purposes, esp. for work and such, but that it can also be a huge waste of time. I was ashamed to sit there and think that I was one of those people who abused my privileges... by wasting hour after hour online or on my computer doing nothing too important.

So I was inspired. I wanted to change my habits somehow, but I knew unless I made my goal tangible, it wouldn't happen. So out came my colored pencils and on a piece of paper I wrote "Do not open until devotions are done" and it is smack dab on my Mac laptop's exterior... warning me to keep that thing shut until my most important task is done.

It's been amazing. It has helped me prioritize and really DESIRE to spend time with God before all else... I do devotions in the morning (something I never before found time to fit in during the morning... hmm... interesting...) and then made me want to go back again at night. Granted, there are some days where I'm like "Gotta do my devos so I can open my Mac," yet somehow, when I open my Bible and get in the Word, my whole attitude changes and my computer stuff seems to drift away into its own little land of unimportance. For once, IT is placed on the back burner and God becomes number one.

And that's exactly how it should be.

GREAT goal, Luke... you always find AWESOME articles and your posts are so encouraging. Let us all know how this works out for you, but I'm pretty sure that it will be an amazing blessing!

Sorry for this post within a comment. Does it really surprise you, though?

T

Julie said...

I don't even own a home computer.

sarah said...

Crud. That kinda makes me feel guilty for sitting here at the library because the computer at our apartment has been/is getting fixed for a week or so. It's good to be remided of my priorities.

megs said...

this sounds like something i've been thinking a lot about the past couple of weeks. and something i've also discussed w/ several people. but, here's my thing w/ turning my computer off for a week- i live about an hour away from anyone i consider a friend and someone i would talk to in person on a regular basis. not easy to get together w/ them, especially w/ conflicting schedules and soforth. so the internet, email, and blogs are how i stay connected w/ them. maybe it would be easier now that school has started and i see more people on a regular basis. maybe i should just call people to get an update on their lives. i know I enjoy a good phone call. i bet others would as well. i just don't know. we'll see what happens. but if you don't hear from me for a week it means i've not died, but started this experiment myself. and luke i don't know if you'll read this, but you'll be blessed for making us all look @ out own lives and think about how we're spending our time. time that could be used serving Him!
megs

Anonymous said...

so guess what? you totally inspired me to turn off my cell phone for a week. i was thinking about what you wrote here and how i spend my time. i'm a slave to my cell phone...it seems like everyone moment that i'm not working or sleeping, my cell phone is ringing off the hook. so i'm taking some me time. time to evalute what my life is about. what my TIME is about.
thanks, luke! :)

steve said...

Hey do me a favor and send a prayer over to Rebekahs Site.
www.rebekahspage.blogspot.com

They are facing some tough decisions on radiation and could use some support. Tell 5 new people about her! Thats my challenge today!Thank you and God Bless! (sorry bout the copy and paste comment. Its the quickest way I can get prayer out! hope you see I just am trying to get a little girl some much needed prayer!)

taryn said...

Now wait a minute, Luke. I must say I kind of agree with raincaller, even though he falsely accused you. How are you getting the full effect of being cut off from your daily communication habits if you still do them at work?

Yeah... I'm just giving you a hard time, although I would like to see a response to that one. Great seeing you at ISU BS and I may show up at vball sometime in the next few weeks before it's all over.

T

Luke said...

Ok people...let's do a review. It seems a lot of people are reading WAY more into my motive in doing this than what I ever intended. This is what I stated in my post:

"I'm hoping it will give me a new perspective on the time I spend on my computer and strengthen my resolve to use that time for edification. I already recognize that I use my computer a lot, and I also realize that my time on the computer is used in a variety of ways some constructive and some not so much. What I hope to gain is a better appreciation for the amount of time that I spend on the computer so that I will be more disciplined in my usage."

Ok...NO where in there did it say I was going to cut off communication, cut off commenting on blogs, cut off emailing, cut off all browsing of the internet, or cut off ANYTHING AT ALL except HOME computer usage. I simply chose to not get on my computer AT HOME for one week.

When I'm at work, my computer is on all day with a constant internet connection. The purpose was not to see if I could survive without communication or email, it was "to gain a better appreciation for the amount of time that I spend on the computer so that I will be more disciplined in my usage."

If there are any questions I'd be happy to oblige, but please re-read the first paragraph of the original post and take it literally before questioning my success with my experience.

Thank you and God bless.

taryn said...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Hope you found a blessing this week out of your goal.

T

Luke said...

The week's over. I'll post when I get the time. It was rather anti-climactic though, so don't be expecting something amazing. :)

Luke said...

I'm sorry and I love you.