Wednesday, December 30

Change Blindness

In visual perception, change blindness is the phenomenon that occurs when a person viewing a visual scene apparently fails to detect large changes in the scene. For change blindness to occur, the change in the scene typically has to coincide with some visual disruption such as a saccade (eye movement) or a brief obscuration of the observed scene or image. When looking at still images, a viewer can experience change blindness if part of the image changes.

Here are 10 examples. See if you can find what changes in all 10. I got them all except the sail boat one. I can't figure that one out. http://www.psych.ubc.ca/~rensink/flicker/download/

For more info see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_blindness

*EDIT: Nevermind! I managed to get the sailboat one. :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The sailboat one - look at the water between the two boats towards the top of the picture. The horizon "changes" one it's higher and the other lower. See if you can see it now.
-Marcy

Luke said...

Yeah, I added a note that I saw it about 5 minutes after I posted it. Did you have any trouble finding them at all? Several of those took me quite a while to find.