Saturday, August 11

Nevertheless, not I...

Have you ever wondered what the balance is, in a Christians life, between self-discipline and Christ-reliance. You have that "I should do more" feeling, but you know that of yourself you can do nothing.

Part of us wants to say, "I just need to 'buckle down'...try harder...be more disciplined", and yet we know that fruit doesn't come from discipline. The Word doesn't call them "Fruits of the disciplined life", it calls them "Fruits of the Spirit".

At the same time there is this sense that you can't just sit back, relax, and let the Spirit produce fruit either. There should be a striving for the mark of the prize...

Sometimes I struggle with the balance between those concepts.

Here are the two ditches I find myself slipping into.1. The Self-Discipline ditch: I decide that I can do this, so I buckle down, and lo-and-behold, I do it. I do it. I think that ditch is pretty obvious. I fail to give God the glory.

2. The Christ's power ditch: I know I can't do it of myself, but I recognize that Christ has the power to work it in me, so I give it a shot, remembering that it is Christ's work. Then I fail. Then I tell myself, well...I guess Christ wasn't ready for me to________ (you fill in the blank). I can end up putting blame on Christ.
Thoughts on a practical balance between those two ditches. Scripture references would be appreciated.

3 comments:

ajp said...

If I only knew the answer it would help me out so much. What I can say is the rub you write about forces me to bring every situation to God no matter how 'big' or 'small' and ask Him for direction. It is because of this conflict that we are required to stay in constant communication with God.

Jim said...

I can totally relate. No answers from me either, but here are some references:

Matt. 7:21-23
Gal. 6:7-8
Mark 13:32-37
1 Cor. 10:11-12
1 Cor. 10:31
2 Tim. 2:15
Col. 3:17
Phil. 4:6-7

Luke said...

Thanks guys. It's comforting to know that one's not alone in their struggles.