Thursday, June 19

Sandbagging

I went to Taylor earlier Tuesday morning and stayed until late Wednesday night volunteering on the levee work their doing.

I am now the sorest I can ever remember being. Ever.

My 27 hours of work was split pretty evenly between repairing the water chutes on the sand levee and sandbagging on the dirt levee.

I managed to lose 6 lbs in two days.

Right now my body hates me and I may be getting sick.

It was a great testimony to God's power and sovereignty. The river is so powerful. It dwarfs our human strength. Watch a few hundred people scurry around on miles and miles of levee doing their best - it reminded me of how ants look when you see them building a mound of sand. I had to wonder what we look like to God. What our creator thought of it all. He created a perfect creation and the more we tinker with it the more we seem to mess up.

God is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, good for you for doing that!

I talked to my dad over the weekend, who had helped out in Oakville, IA, before the town was flooded.

"So all the sandbagging you did didn't do any good?" I asked him.

"I guess not."

And then I felt really bad. Way to make him feel worthless on Father's Day, you know?

But I guess for all our ant-like scurrying around, it is comforting that God has a much, much bigger view and plan for everything, even when we seem to make little to no positive change in this world. Thanks for that perspective!

sarah said...

Hi Luke. It's been awhile. Bye Luke.

Luke said...

Carrie: Yeah...I've thought about whether or not all the work is "worth it" if it breaks anyway. I decided it doesn't matter. You have to try. There's too much at stake to not try.

Then there's all the intangibles...the spiritual and emotional bonding that goes on in a community affected by these challenges. The pulling together of people from every walk.

It's especially neat considering the polarization issues facing our church today. You have people with very different viewpoints uniting in service. It really is a beautiful thing.

God has purpose. Always.

Sarah: Hi.