Thursday, September 14

The Roles of the Holy Spirit

I did some studying on the Holy Spirit this morning, and I thought I'd share some of what I found.

This is a small sample of what the Word has regarding the Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost. One thing I noticed is ,when studying the Spirit, you have to make sure and differentiate between the spirit and the Spirit. The word "spirit" has many definitions. I think only the capitalized one is used in reference to the proper noun of the Holy Spirit. See the Strongs definitions for clarifications.

First off, I was encouraged by the word to beginning praying for the Spirit to fill me each and everyday.

Lu 11:13 - If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?I was also reminded, in Romans 5, that when people see the love of God in us, that it's important that we remember that it's not us, but it's the Spirit which shineth through us. We deserve no credit for our goodness, it is only by the righteousness of Christ that we do any good thing. Romans 5:1-5
1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; 4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope: 5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

In John 16:13, we see the Spirit of Truth as our teacher:

“Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.”In John 14:26, we learn that the Holy Spirit is our Comforter, Counselor, and teacher:“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”*note here that the "bring all things to your remembrance" is in reference to the Word of God, not necessarily work material, or school stuff...not that the Spirit couldn't do those things too, but just realize that that's not what Christ is saying in this particular passage.

In Romans 8:26, we learn that the Holy Spirit is there for us in times of weakness and prayer as our intercessor:

“Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”The Spirit also has a role in our sanctification and justification.1 Corinthians 6:11 - And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.The Spirit is our teacher/guide (guides by teaching from His Word), comforter, and intercessor. He also works in our sanctification and justification.

In closing, I found this verse really encouraging and great summary of why Christ came. So often I forget - lose sight of - the simplicity of Christ's purpose. I get caught up in the daily grind, and in my own problems which can seem so large. I need to remember that I'm the carrier of the best news the world has ever recieved!Lu 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Be encouraged New Believer. It will take time as you die to self and allow the Spirit to fill you completely, but God has some amazing promises for you in His Word. You've accepted Christ and have been set at Liberty!! Praise Him!

In Christ,
Luke

No comments: