Thursday, November 2

Faith & Breakfast

Sorry this got kinda long. I wasn't planning on that.

So, I met with my mentor over breakfast this morning. We usually meet on Friday mornings, but I'm going to be in North Carolina on Friday morning. Five of us (Josh Gerber, Jake Gerst, Trent Leman, Tony Esslinger, and myself) are going out to visit John Eisenmann. We're leaving this evening around 6:00pm and getting home on Sunday night around 10:00pm.

So anyway, I met with my mentor this morning, and we discussed a bunch of issues, but one of the issues that came up was "pleasing God".

How do we please God? How do we make decisions that please Him? When we're new born babes in Christ, we're ignorant of a lot of the principles that are found in His Word. Does that mean, when we make decisions in ignorance, that we're less pleasing to God?

The Scripture says that "without faith it is impossible to please God". Does that mean that all it takes it faith to please him, or is it just saying that without faith it's impossible to do the things that please God? See the difference?

See...if you believe that faith allows us to do the things that please God...then when we do things in ignorance of His Word, then that would be "displeasing" because we're doing the wrong things.

However, if faith is what it takes to please God, then where does obedience to His Word fit in?

Motives? It starts with faith. Faith in what? Faith that God exists. Faith that He is who He says He is. Faith in God's promises in His Word. Faith that He'll continue to work out our sanctification regardless of our ignorance. Then that faith will manifest itself in our obedience - in our things. It isn't the manifestation of the things that our Father is looking for. It's the motive behind them. It's the relationship He's seeking, not our actions.

I know it may seem like an insignificant thing to some of you. I mean...if obedience is what it comes around too...As long as we're obedient, we're all good right? Well, this is where I struggle. Obedience for the sake of obedience isn't really the obedience that's on God's heart. I struggle with the mindset of, "If I do A, B, and C, then I'll end up with D. If, when I get up in the morning, I read for a half hour and then pray for a half hour, then I'll eventually overcome this certain sin in my life. If I'm obedient...If I just do what I'm supposed to do, then I'll be victorious right? That's not necessarily how God works. Sometimes we're doing all the right things, and we still can't seem to overcome an issue.

That's where it comes back to the heart! Let's focus on God...on who He is...on our perspective...on our relationship, and let our obedience flow from an awe of HIM!

God Bless.

1 comment:

ajp said...

It all comes back to motives, but those are hard to judge in each other. Thankfully God is the perfect judge who also gives grace.
Have a great trip as well!