Friday, February 16

Paul's Seminary Experience & God's Sovereignty

Heidi and I were reading in Galatians 1 last night. In the middle part of the chapter Paul summarizes his preaching "credentials", so to speak. I found it really interesting that Paul spent three years in the wilderness learning by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

I've always found it interesting that a lot of the New Testament was written, not by the disciples, but by one who had never walked with Jesus in the flesh.

I bet it would be really interesting to know what Paul went through in those three years before he met with Peter and began his ministry.

Another part that struck me was how Paul viewed his past persecution of the church. In verses 13 and 14 he talks about how he "laid waste" to the church and pursecuted it "beyond measure", but then in verses 15 and 16 he says:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, 16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen;...His internalization of God's sovereignty is astounding. He knew that God's timing was perfect, and that it had all been for a reason. He knew he had been chosen by God and converted at exactly the right moment in His life. That moment was "when it pleased God".

And then notice he didn't use his past sins to excuse himself from current service. He didn't say "oh Lord...I can't preach...after all I did? No one will listen to me". Instead he "immediately" began his training for ministry.

Are you going through a difficult season in your life? Are you questioning why, or how, or when? Trust in God's sovereignty! Keep your eyes focused on the cross and trust that God will work all things for good. Just keep loving the Lord! He is Faithful.

1 comment:

ajp said...

one of the great things about being married or engaged is reading the Word together. Good times!