Friday, November 14

Insulated

Big thanks to my wonderful parents!

Last night my mom & dad came over and we worked on insulating my basement.

My mom cut and stuffed fiberglass insulation all the way around our rim joist (bless her heart!) while dad & I sealed up our basement windows with rigid insulation and expanding foam.

It was appalling how much cold air was leaking into our basement from around our basement window frames. The wind was blowing last night, so you could put your hand up to the window frame and feel the wind just coming right through.

The biggest side benefit to sealing up our basement is keeping bugs out. We had more than our fair share of spiders, crickets, and ladybugs invade the warmth of our basement. I know my wife will greatly appreciate a big downturn in the critter count.

The next step in sealing up our house is to caulk the inside of our storm windows. Sometimes, when the wind is blowing, you can see the cobwebs blowing in the space between the storm window and the regular window. That's not a good sign.

No comments: