Friday, February 20

Sold out?

I get a weekly prayer newsletter in my inbox. This week two parts of it struck me as extremely relevant not only to me, but to our era.
First was the - Quote for the week:
"You turned your back on the homeless and the ones that don't fit in your plans. Quit playing religion games...there's blood on your hands. Instead let there be a flood of justice and endless procession of righteousness...I hate all your shows." - Jon Foreman.

The second was - Other News:
There are too many times during a week that I realize I am using prayer as a show-- a performance for others, myself and God. My attitude subtly becomes one of a display--I must pray because God wants to see me pray. It couldn't be any more opposite! Of course God wants me to pray, but is it not reiterated over and over again in Scripture that it is all about the heart?! Prayer is anything but a show. Matthew 6 says that we ought to pray in our closet! There's no exhibition in that. Maybe I can even pray from the heart, but decorate my prayers with little frills -- routinely closing my eyes, folding my hands, not even peaking once at my neighbor to see if he's really praying! Great things...but they all add up to a big fat zero if your heart is far from God..not recognizing Him for His greatness or realizing the power that is available in coming before His throne. Let's cancel the show this week and get our hands dirty in prayer! Praise God!

May God renew our hearts by Grace to truly worship Him - in spirit and in truth.

No comments: