Tuesday, July 5

Three Days of Memories

First off, for those of you who were worried, I'm not going to list off all the memories of the last three days.

I went to Gateway Woods this weekend to volunteer on Saturday. I went with a group of young people from Washington, Roanoke, Morton, and Peoria. There were 24 of us. It amazes me how, when we go somewhere to volunteer and to serve, we so often walk away with a huge blessing. We go to bless, and are blessed.

Vince Francesi and Tyler Scott, from the Bluffton Youth Group came up for Saturday to help us work. Our tasks consisted of cutting out and relocating sod from around some swing sets, removing the pea gravel from around another swing set, and then replacing the sod or gravel with mulch. The weather was absolutely perfect for landscaping.

Sunday was spent worshipping at the Leo church. Brother Justin Koch, from Washington, IL, and Brother Darren Plattner, from Champaign, IL had the morning and afternoon services respectively. The theme centered around a few key questions; How did I get here?, and Why am I here? The answers, in their basic forms, were; I was created by an omnipotent God, and I am created to worship and glorify that God, my creator. What powerful simple truths. The challenge then becomes, if we were created to worship and glorify our maker, then what in our lives is hindering that? Everything else in our lives, everything that isn't centered around the glorification of our Father which art in Heaven, it's all fluff, meaningless, pointless.

Let's cut out the fluff. Let's be about worship.

7 comments:

megs said...

sounds like you had a very blessed weekend luke! it's amazing how when we do simple things like serving others so close to home we are blessed so much more than we even expected to give!!

Anonymous said...

It really was a great weekend! Sunday I had the words from a song I sang in h.s. chorus going through my head...

To love our God, the reason we live,
To love our God, the highest call!
Nothing satisfies the soul, gives life meaning, makes us whole,
For this purpose we were made- to love our God!

I'm a little bummed I missed out on the road trip though. :)

Jenny

Julie said...

wait a sec.... bluffton's yg has a web-page???

Luke said...

Jenny:

It is a bummer you missed out on the road trip, but I bet your family appreciated spending the extra time with you! Thanks for the song lyrics. Eureka is a pretty unique school when you can sing a song like that in H.S. chorus!

steve said...

this is SO on my wavelength! If you havent read the book "The Unquenchable Worshipper" by Matt Redman PLEASE do yourself a favor and get it as soon as you can! It is EXACTLY about this... talks about all the phases of worship.. it is a beautiful book

megs said...

hey luke... remember that analogy i posted one time on here w/ the fire and straw being like us witnessing to an unbeliever?? when did i post that?? i wanna show that to somebody and i can't find it.. :(

Tifani said...

It was good to see you this weekend Luke! I didn't get to hang with ya much...but I'm glad you were there!