Friday, May 19

Accomplishment

Lisa left a comment on my previous post asking me, "...what single accomplishment in your life have you been proudest of?"

That's a really interesting, and for me, thought-provoking question. To give you an idea of why that question made me think, here's some background. I think of this story almost everytime I see the word "proud".

When I was in middle school I brought home one of those bumper stickers that said "Proud Parent of a CCR-1 Honor Roll Student!" I'm sure you've all seen something similar. Well, a few days later I noticed it sitting, propped up, on the window ledge in my mom's office. She had crossed out the word "proud" with a black marker, leaving it to read: "------ Parent of a CCR-1 Honor Roll Student".

Back then I just shook my head, and chalked it up to over-zealousness. But it stuck with me. I've never forgotten that.

Throughout my life, as accomplishments have come and gone, I've always tried to remember that all good gifts are from our Father in heaven. (Jas 1:17)

However, it is undeniable that God has instilled in us the emotions which give us satisfaction and make us feel good at the completion of various accomplishments. Even those are good gifts from God. Those emotions can lead us down a number of paths. You could end up wasting your life pursuing those good feelings of accomplishment and taking all the credit for them, or else you could use them to Worship our Father.

Lisa, did you know this would turn into a novel!? *grin*

I do not mean for the above to be a condemnation of the word "proud" as it often has a non-sinful context.(as in this case) It just made me think of that story, so I decided to share.

So, now that I've managed to write a rather lengthy discussion on this, I'll try and just answer the question as it was intended. :-) I just wanted you all to have some idea why this question struck me.

So, without further ado, the accomplishment for which I am most thankful. *wink*

*drumroll*.................................................
........................
........................
........................
........................

I'm not sure.

This is really kinda difficult for me. There isn't one thing that stands head and shoulders above the rest, but to answer the question, I'll go with the first one that popped into my head. Getting my Masters degree in Architectural Engineering from Kansas State in 5 1/2 years with a 3.8 GPA.It's amazing how many times God provided the necessary resources, both physically and mentally, which allowed that to happen. It was very rewarding, and it's very humbling to know that God has entrusted me with the resources I have. May I use them to further His Kingdom and not mine.

5 comments:

Kristi B. said...

Luke, I really wouldn't have one thing that stands out as my biggest accomplishment either, if it makes ya' feel any better.

But, wow! good job on you master's degree. That's some pretty fast and smart work there!

Anonymous said...

Wow...that's a great GPA (not that I'm surprised though). Congrats!

Steff

Radical One said...

yes, "thankful" would have been a better word. sorry about that. my bad. i guess i was thinking more about the question rather than my wording. i do apologize.

Luke said...

Lisa: No need at all to apologize! I knew what you meant. I was just posting my thoughts on it all.

Mark Nenadov said...

"Getting my Masters degree in Architectural Engineering from Kansas State in 5 1/2 years with a 3.8 GPA."

Good work, Luke!