Friday, July 14

Hmmm...

I'm having a hard time formulating thoughts in a coherent enough manner to write them down. I've had several issues on my heart the past couple of days, but I can't seem to pull them together, so I'll just give them to you in list form.1. Church attendance: Why or why not? Dwell on the blessings that come from going to church. I don't know about you, but I've definitely had those times when I just don't feel like going. If you've thought about the reasons you attend church, it makes it much easier to go whether you feel like it or not.

3. Holiness in my priorities: How am I spending my time? Are my priorities reflecting my beliefs and convictions? Am I spending my time in activities that will foster my spiritual growth or hinder it? I don't think there are too many "neutral" activities...Either you're moving toward or you're moving away from Christ. I tend to want to classify things that aren't edifying as "things that don't really matter". This just allows me to continue doing them without feeling guilty. In reality I think everything matters. Every experience I have...every image I place before my eyes has some sort of effect on me whether great or small. I want my life to be about sanctification - with the overwhelming amount of my time being spent in activities that contribute positively to that.

2. Relationships with neighbors: How do you shine Jesus to someone who's upset with you? "Turning the other cheek" is an excellent exercise in humility. We have a condo assocation meeting coming up this Tuesday (18th). I'd really appreciate your prayers that I may use Godly wisdom in dealing with some issues that have arisen.
Ok...so when I started writing this, I just had two sentences per item on the list. Then I slowly started adding in thoughts, and things began to solidify in my mind a little more. That's one of the reasons I like blogging! :)

3 comments:

Tifani said...

Unfortunately I think sometimes my reasonings for going to church are more social, instead of to get something out of God's word. It's always a help to stop and think what motivates us into doing something.

Anonymous said...

1. what i find interesting about church, is that if i am missing people, being at church makes me feel even more lonely. not sure why ... and it doesn't really make sense. but sometimes that makes it all the harder to go. but of course "hard" is no reason to skip!

2. good reminder. thanks.

3. how do you shine Jesus to people you never see? i am convinced no one who shares my parking lot goes anywhere. their cars are there when i leave in the morning, and still in the exact same spot when i get home in the evening. it makes me curious!

i gotta go, but thanks for the post, luke. this is the kind i like best -- real thoughts from real minds. :)

oh yeah, and i'll say a special prayer for your meeting june 18th.
-dona

Matthew said...

I just wanted to say that now that getting to church requires a great deal of effort I appreciate it so much more. If your church is just a short trip away just be grateful that you can attend. It makes me think of all the people in the world without a local chruch that teaches the truth to attend. The Lord has truly blessed us.