Tuesday, January 24

Charity

"1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth
not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth:...13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."


Wait...So you're saying that I can: 1. Speak with the tongues of angels
2. have the ability to prophesy
3. understand all mysteries
4. understand all knowledge
5. have faith to remove mountains
6. give everything I own to the poor
7. be martyred through fire
and they won't count as ANYthing unless I have charity?
Nothing?
I won't even profit a little bit?
I mean...surely God will be somewhat impressed right?


nope.

Ok...well...if it's that important, what is it?

Charity: 1. is longsuffering
2. is kind
3. envieth not
4. boasteth not
5. is not puffed up
6. behaves itself seemly
7. seeketh not her own
8. is not easily provoked
9. thinketh no evil
10. rejoiceth not in inequity
11. rejoiceth in truth
12. beareth all things
13. believeth all things
14. hopeth all things
15. endureth all things
16. never faileth
It's the difference between obedience and worship. You can have obedience without worship, but you can't have worship without obedience. Worship involves our hearts. It involves our minds. It involves our motives and our desires. God created us for Worship with the intent that out of that worship would flow unfeigned obedience. We were not created to do works for the Father out of a sense of fear, or obligation, or any other reason besides that of loving worship. I mean, think of it, you could have faith to remove mountains, give all your goods to the poor, and die a martyr, and it could all be worthless if your motives or intents were misplaced.

Is that a hard concept for you to truly give into? One of the reasons that it seems to be difficult for many is because it often requires change in us. Not just outward change...but heart change...the painful change...the effective, lasting, God honoring change that we can't do by ourselves. Let's turn our faces to God the Father so that He can change us from the inside. Don't look at your neighbor. Don't look at your brother. Look at Jesus and pray, "Lord, create in me a clean heart oh God, and renew a right spirit within me."

5 comments:

Laura L. said...

It's amazing how the world has it completely backward. But as my sister said...Having a lot of money, a successful career, amazing abilities do not bring near the joy as friends you love. Yet why do I devote more of my life to those other things?

c.l.beyer said...

"You can have obedience without worship, but you can't have worship without obedience."

That's good stuff, Luke. Thanks.

Luke said...

c.l.beyer: Yeah, it's a truth that I've only recently grasped. I lived for a long time thinking I was "pleasing God" by doing things even if I did them grudgingly. I'm not saying there's never any value in doing something you'd rather not do for the sake of personal growth, but my understand and attitude was definitely off.

Kristi B. said...

This is good. It reminds me of that verse in Psalms that says God doesn't want our sacrifices and burnt-offerings if He doesn't first have our broken and contrite heart.

Luke said...

Nah Jake, that sounds too much like something you'd say. However, if you were to ever start up a blog, I'd support you using that. I mean, ya know...to pay homage to my extreme influence over you. :D