Monday, January 23

Introspection

Have you ever asked God to reveal areas in your heart that aren't in line with His Word? Have you ever asked God for the ability to view your heart as Christ views your heart? Think about that for a second...

How does Christ view our hearts? Remember, He knows every thought, motive, wish, or desire you've ever had. He knows the true depth of your sorrow, and He knows the full height of your joys. Would you let Christ change anything He found that displeased Him? Anything? Are we willing to be radically transformed, or do we just want to be shined up on the outside?

I prayed that prayer towards the end of last week, and the answer was both convicting and thrilling at the same time. I've been struggling with something in my life for a long time, and I asked God to give me wisdom to search my heart truthfully. I wanted to see if there was anything that I was harboring that was keeping me from effectively dealing with my struggle. I wanted to know how I was hindering God's power in my life.

Dare you ask the same?

2 comments:

c.l.beyer said...

"Search me and know me and reveal to me any aspect of my life that is not pleasing to you, expose any agreements I have made with my Enemy, and grant me the grace of a deep and true repentance." -John and Stasi Eldredge

That's part of a prayer I've begun praying that I found in the back of _Captivating_ by the Eldredges.

Anyway, I've found that "daring" -- as you said, Luke -- to take the step of acknowledging and repenting for sin is one of the hardest parts of worship. Whenever I pray this prayer, I feel a little anxiety rise up in me, like I'm thinking: "Uh oh. What's God going to hit me with this time?"

But if I look to the Father and let Him calm my anxiety, I can say, "Yes, Lord, I really do mean that." And then, the time of acknowledgement and repentance is not so scary as it is beautiful. In the end, God's presence is my heart is so much richer -- which is ever so much more fulfilling than the sin that used to fill those spaces of my heart.

c.l.beyer said...

Sorry. That was really long.