Wednesday, July 30

Schindler's List

I few days ago I read this article by Greg Koukle and it spurred me to rent Schindler's List. Last night my wife and I sat down, and, for almost 3 1/2 hrs, experienced Steven Spielberg's film adaptation of the story of Oskar Schindler.

After watching the movie, I'd have to agree with Greg's assessment when he says, "These movies are important for us to see because they keep us from thinking too highly of ourselves. They force us to see ourselves as we really are."

When Greg says "as we really are", he's referring to humankind's depravity. This movie shows men committing atrocities with no remorse. It gives a stark, cold, jarring picture of what we are capable of. And even though Schindler accomplishes a great good, in the end he still abandons his wife and fails in business.

I doubt it was a purpose Spielberg anticipated for this film, but I saw a film that cried out with humankind's need for a Savior. When we are confronted with our base sinful behavior in such a poignant manner, we should have to ask ourselves, "How am I any different".

How are you different?

Here's the preview trailer for Schindler's List

No comments: