Tuesday, September 27

How am I? Well...

You asked how things are treating me.

God is good. I could say amen right there, but that wouldn't spawn much conversation would it. ;)

As I grow in Christ and mature in my faith I realize more and more everyday how little I "deserve". How wretched I am when compared to God's awesome standard of Holiness. As I grow in this realization, it affects my perception of "how I am". When you don't deserve a single good thing from God everything becomes a gift, especially salvation. That's the thing we deserve the least of all, and yet that's the thing that can't be taken away by life's "circumstances".

The physical circumstances that we've become accustomed to calling blessings...those are not promised to us on this earth. However, there have been blessings that are unequivacly promised, and those are the blessings of God's character traits. His love, his mercy, his justice, his grace, his chastisement...those are things that we can lay hold of whenever we want and God will never withold them from his children. So, when people ask me how I am...well...I'm better off than I deserve, and I try to be thankful for it everyday.

I've come to view blessings not as getting what I want, but as anything in my life that deepens my walk with the Lord and helps to conform me to His image. Since God has promised that All things do that in the life of a Christian (Romans 8:28,29), I am blessed FAR beyond what I can comprehend regardless of my physical circumstances (Which happen to be wonderful right now).

7 comments:

Luke said...

Britni: Thanks for that reminder! It's so true!

Anon said...

good reminder :)

i was thinking about being blessed and what that means during class today.

when a friend of mine was walking home from class one time, this random guy asked how she was. She said "good, how are you?" and his response was "richly blessed and highly favored!"
i thought that's a pretty cool response to give to random people.

taryn said...

Well said! There's really nothing to not be "well" about, because even if we lost everything we had, we'd still have the best and most undeserved gift of salvation.

Awesome reminder, Luke! And Brit, good point about not getting "comfortable" with it... because we certainly did nothing to deserve it.

T

Mark Miller said...

Well, I was "blessed" by your post. I really like your definition. Thanks for your help with stuff, though I'm not sure if the castpost is workin yet. Check it out and let me know. Thanks, bro!

Mark

PS nice guitar:)

JLR said...

I came here via steve's blog (following God's will). Great post!

Anonymous said...

Are our "material blessings" really blessings?

Enjoyed your blog Luke.

Just a thought from a forlorn brother.

Luke said...

They sure can be! If we hold them in our open palm for God to use to bring glory and honor to his name! If we use them to deepen our appreciation of God and his love, they can be used to draw us closer to Christ.

The deciding factor in whether they are our blessings or not is our attitude and our motives. :)