Friday, August 11

Holiness longed for

Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what You want from me
Holiness, holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what You want from me

[Chorus]

So, take my heart and form it
Take my mind and transform it
Take my will and conform it To Yours, to Yours, oh, Lord

Something about this song just struck me. Notice how the verse explains our desire for holiness, our need for holiness, and God's desire that we be holy. Now, notice the chorus. It's as notable for what it doesn't say as for what it does say.

It doesn't say: I'll take my heart and form it.
It doesn't say: I'll take my mind and transform it.
It doesn't say: I'll take my will and conform it To Yours...

No, the author is speaking to the Lord, and he's speaking in terms of a request.

I need to realize that I can't will holiness into my life. Only Christ can take my heart, my mind, and my will and change them, through sanctification, into holiness.

It's not about focusing all my willpower on my area of struggle until I break free. It's about focusing all my life on my Savior until I find myself poured out at His feet.

6 comments:

ajp said...

So true...so often we like to feel like we are in charge and it is us that has to do all the work. Your post reminds me of a Rich Mullins song entitled "Hold Me Jesus." Here are a couple lines:

Surrender don't come natural to me
I'd rather fight You for something I don't really want
Than to take what You give that I need
And I've beat my head against so many walls
Now I'm falling down, I'm falling on my knees

And this Salvation Army band is playing this hymn
And Your grace rings out so deep
It makes my resistance seem so thin

no_average_girl said...

that song reminds me of precious memories...when I did Sign Language for our church's praise band, they would do that song...How I miss doing it each week!

One verse that was always added (it may be part of the song, I don't know...but it was always done as a last-minute add on), one that really touched me...

Brokenness, brokennessis what I long for
Brokenness is what I need
Brokenness, brokenness is what You want from me
Brokenness, brokenness is what I long for
Brokenness is what I need
Brokenness, brokenness is what You want from me


How many people ask to be broken? Just be careful what you ask for though...He may do it, and it may not be easy!

jw said...

I love the simplicity. A prayer like that is almost like the moanings of the Spirit. Sometimes simple lyrics define all that needs to be said. I recorded it a few weeks ago, it's a special song for me.

Anonymous said...

"Orthodoxy means not thinking—not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness." George Orwell, 1984 pg46-47

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a bible study on this blog about peer pressure. I'm sure a simple google search would do but you seem to have a keen understanding of the bible and it's language. Thank You.

Anonymous said...

peer (pîr) pronunciation
n.

1. A person who has equal standing with another or others, as in rank, class, or age