Thursday, August 24

In spite of ourselves

God is faithful in spite of our efforts.

Not through our efforts.

Not because of our efforts.

As we strive to become better mirrors of God's image let's remember to keep the focus on Christ, and not ourselves. Even when we think that we're focusing on "positive change"...it's always a temptation to focus on "will power" instead of "Christ power".

Just focus on Christ - Fill your heart with Christ - Fill your mind with Christ. Then trust in His power of sanctification.

It will come...in spite of (regardless of) our efforts.

3 comments:

no_average_girl said...

wow, that's simply profound. While it seems so simple, it's so deep and thought-provoking!

Whenever I hope over to your blog, I just go ahead and turn my brain power on! LOL Not a bad thing, I usually get a blessing (if not double blessing) from popping in and seeing what you have!

Blessings!

Lorie said...

Dude! I'm so glad I linked over to your blog from Katie's! This is good stuff---and it is SO along the lines of what I feel like God is challenging me with and wanting to teach me right now too. My heart can be so resistant because I love my self and my sin too much. But you have encouraged me!

I've been listening to The Pursuit of Holiness on cd in my car and he talks a lot about some of these very same ideas---in much of the same way. Have you read it? If not, you should. It's a great resource and could further encourage you, too. It's by Jerry Bridges.

Radical One said...

hey luke, just stopping by to say hey. i've been out of the blogging loop for a little while. life is just kinda busy. but wanted to stop by and get some good thoughts. you always give much to think about.

hope you're doing alright and hope to catch up with you soon!

lisa