Thursday, October 5

Communication

Thanks for all the good comments on the previous post. It seems I always get a good response when the discussion turns to relationships. Any constructive thoughts on why there seems to be such a hunger for information/opinions on relationships? Is this hunger a good thing? Is it a bad thing? Do you not really care, and just wish I'd quit bringing it up? :-)

One of the questions I feel it's important to ask is, "Why am I entering into this relationship?"

Your purpose is to live for God. (2 Cor. 5:14-15) Are your life-goals designed to give God pleasure? Are you entering this relationship in order to increase God's pleasure or strictly your own?

Relationships will also give you a forum to show mercy in a way few other circumstances will. You will be called upon continually to be merciful to someone who you may feel doesn't deserve (and truly may not) mercy. You will be required to do what does not come naturally. Be forewarned that in the future people may at times bring out some very selfish and surprisingly sinful responses from your heart. Matt. 15:19)They may hurt you more deeply than you've ever been hurt before. Are you willing to be the personification of mercy to one who doesn't "deserve" it?

4 comments:

megs said...

like mark commented in the last post i think that it's not stressed enough our relationships w/ the same sex. and yes, we could talk, post, and discuss about this all we wanted. but, when it comes down to it, if we all we do is talk about it and not actually DO anything, it is ALL for naught!

Anon said...

My guess as to why people like to talk about it: we all deal with it on a daily basis.

I'm thankful to have both guy friends and girl friends. And I'm thankful for grace. :)

The comments were interesting.

Anonymous said...

I will come clean and say that I am Anon 2 (I've felt convicted about not owning up to my opinions). I think I have posted only a couple times on your blog, and I have to admit that both times were probably about relationships. Maybe it's because I'm a communicating type person combined with a Type A and opinionated personality! Not a good combo!

I agree with Dona that relationships are something we deal with daily and so when the topic comes up, all of us have lots of thoughts.

If we can step back and honestly evaluate ourselves as much as we are so quick to evaluate others (speaking to my opinionated self first), we might be able to communicate with and understand others a bit better. Just a thought as I was thinking about this topic! Have a great rest of the week!
Jolynn

Luke said...

Megan: So was that an encouragement to keep discussing it, but make sure we implement good practices, or was that an encouragement to quit discussing it. I can't tell.

Dona: I agree, one of the main reasons it's such an interesting topic is because we're involved in relationships every waking minute.

Jolynn: Thanks for coming clean. :-) That's great advice about evaluating ourselves more and others less. It's not our flesh nature, but it's what we're called to do.