Monday, November 28

1 John 4:7-21

I read 1 John 4 this morning. This was the first chapter my grandpa shared with me after I started repenting.

He first pointed out verse 17: "Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world."

He asked me, "Can you imagine anything greater than to have boldness in the day of judgment?"

I couldn't then, and I can't now. I can't think of anything I would desire more than to be able to stand on judgment day, not quivering and doubtful, but bold.

Grandpa then pointed out the preceding verses in 1 John that give us the key to boldness. "15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."

Love is the key. Love that stems from a confession of Christ as our Lord and King.

Then later on in the chapter, John gives us more wisdom on loving God. "20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also."

So how am I doing on loving my brothers? I'm not speaking of the warm fuzzy feeling love. This is the 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love. How am I doing at being patient with my brother? Am I kind to all my brothers? Do I think no evil of them?Dear God, give me the strength and the grace to show more love toward my brethren and therein deepen my love for thee. In Jesus' name, Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Luke! John gives a shocking reminder to us of the importance of brotherly and sisterly love.

Also, a happy reminder about the boldness we possess as Christians for the day of judgment. I heard in a sermon yesterday that we should NOT have any doubt about our salvation and where it is taking us... because if it is true, we can be assured life with Jesus!

Colossians 3:2-3
Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

Stephanie said...

Hey Luke:

I very much enjoyed this post. Your grandfather was a wise man, and it looks like it rubbed off a bit :)

Thanks for sharing this today, and I hope you had a blessed holiday!