Thursday, November 17

Faith

I was reading this morning in Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest", and the message really struck me. "We should battle through our moods, feelings, and emotions into absolute devotion to the Lord Jesus. We must break out of our own little world of experience into abandoned devotion to Him".I love that thought, abandoned devotion.

Jesus Christ provides us with some really powerful promises. With Christ we can stand faultless before God's throne, inexpressibly pure, absolutely righteous, and profoundly justified.

Often times we talk of us making sacrifices for the name of Christ. Chambers' says this: "How dare we talk of making a sacrifice for the Son of God! We are saved from hell and total destruction, and then we talk about making sacrifices!"So often I lose this perspective. How easy is it for us, as humans, to begin to look at our Christian walk as us doing God a favor? We begin to look at ourselves as something, when in truth we are wretched. How easy is it for us to think we somehow deserved the gifts that are ours through Christ? How easy is it for us to pat ourselves on the back when we have a good spritual day? It is so easy for me to think I'm doing good spiritually, or I'm doing bad spiritually, when all I can do is obey and let God do the rest. We begin to lose sight of whole reason we are able to do even one good thing. We begin to lose sight of the terrible sacrifice that Christ paid out of love for us, when all we deserved was death. Our lives should be full of endless praise resulting from complete belief and a rememberance of who Christ is and what He did. "We must continually focus and firmly place our faith in Jesus Christ--not a "prayer meeting" Jesus Christ, or a "book" Jesus Christ, but the New Testament Jesus Christ, who is God Incarnate, and who ought to strike us dead at His feet. Our faith must be in the One from whom our salvation springs. Jesus Christ wants our absolute, unrestrained devotion to Himself."Are you prepared to give it?


To those of you who haven't ever read Steve's blog, I would strongly recommend that you go to his sight and read the Tuesday Nov. 15th post about his book. Then follow the link and start at chapter one. Our testimonies are one of the most powerful gifts God has given us for evangelism. This is an amazing one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the term abandoned devotion as well Luke. So often we, well me let our emotions or our thoughts rule us for the moment. How sad. We must focus constantly to not lose sight and to not allow ourselves to get in the way of God through us. WE are nothing but filthy rags, yet I must confess that sometimes i think I'm worthy and thats to my own shame. Luckily, God is Awesome and merciful to forgive me a lowly sinner. Yet, we can't allow ourselves to water down the gift by taking advantage of Christ's shed blood without repentance. So I guess to tie this down, regardless of what's going on remember that we don't own anything, everything has been given to us, the least we can do is give all of ourselves to one who gave up His Son for us.

taryn said...

Good to hear from you, Cody!

Luke- great post. Very striking and convicting.

T