Wednesday, November 30

Hold My Hand

I don't want to turn this blog into a Bill Bright news letter, but this touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. I felt compelled to share it. It's a wonderful reminder of how our Heavenly Father cares for us.

The Father's Heart

All glory to God, who is able to keep you from stumbling (Jude 24, NLT).

Dear friends:
Our two sons, Zac and Brad, are both grown now and both are serving the Lord in full-time ministry. Experiences with them as children taught us many things about how our heavenly Father views us.

Many years ago, my wife Vonette and I were walking down a shallow stream in Yosemite National Park with our sons, who were very small at the time. Because the rocks were slippery, I was holding our five-year-old son, Brad, by the hand. Suddenly Brad slipped, and his feet went out from under him. I held him firmly until he regained his balance. As we continued on our walk, Brad looked up at me and said, "Daddy, I'm sure glad you saved me from falling."

At that moment I was reminded how my heavenly Father has kept me from falling on many occasions. We walked in silence for a few minutes. Then Brad gazed up into my face again and said, "Daddy, I'm glad you're holding my hand." This time tears came to my eyes as I said to my Father in Heaven, "I'm so glad you hold me by the hand; I'm so prone to fall." I am reminded of the words from Jude 24, above.

My two sons mean more to me than I could ever begin to put into words. On another day when they were small, as I was preparing a message, Zac suddenly appeared with a stack of books and sat down across the table from me. I sensed the warmth of his love, even though he didn't want to interrupt my study. My heart melted, and I broke the silence: "Zac," I said, "I want you to know how much it means to me that you have come to sit with me."

He replied, "Daddy, that's the reason I've come -- I just want to be with you."

Suddenly, for the first time in my life, I really understood how the great heart of our loving Father longs for fellowship with man. If I delight in my sons and long to be with them and tell them that I love them and care for them, surely God's delight in us is infinitely greater because His capacity for love is so much greater.

Let us return His love, with all our hearts, souls, minds and strength.

Yours for helping to fulfill the Great Commission each year until our Lord returns,

Bill Bright

7 comments:

Whistle Britches said...

I heard an interview with someone (can't remember who) right after Bill Bright passed away and he remembered a conversation he had in which he asked Bill, "How can I pray for you,Bill?" and Bill replied," Pray that I'll never leave my first Love." That was alway the most important thing to him.

Luke said...

Uncle Joe: That's a great thought. It reminds me of Revelation 2:2-5 where Christ is talking about the church at Ephesus:
2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: 3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. 4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. 5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Let us strive to grow our fire every day!

Anon said...

This might be a *dumb* question, but I'm asking anyhow: In 'real life application,' what does it mean to "leave your first love?"

Luke said...

Dona: To know what it means to leave your first love, you must first define what the Bible means when it says first love. For a definition of your first love look here.

When you quit striving for that...when you turn your back on that...

Anon said...

huh

I didn't realize...

Sarah Fortney said...

Thank You Abba Father for holding my hand when things get rough. When I slip I am glad that You are with me and will keep me from falling. Wrap us all in Your sweet embrace and remind over and over of You unfailing Love.

Luke said...

In Jesus' name, Amen