Thursday, November 10

Thankfulness


If you would've asked me yesterday if I considered thanksgiving (the action, not the holiday) a sacrifice, I would've told you I didn't. Today, well, that's changed. Last night brother Don Sauder, from our church in Roanoke, spoke to the Washington congregation about God's goodness and God's faithfulness. One of the scriptures he mentioned was Psalm 116.


Ps 116:17
I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD
.
Thanksgiving does not come naturally to the heart of man. It is our inclination to think we deserve everything we have and more.

We don't. We don't deserve an ounce of it. If we got what we deserved from our almighty, righteous, infinitely holy God, we'd all be damned. And yet God chose to give us the most...the most...I can't even think of a superlative to describe the gift God chose to give us. The gift of salvation. Yet how often do we struggle with being truly thankful because of some earthly, physical situation we find ourselves in? In my case, all too often. Psalm 107:22 says this:And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing.Declare his works with rejoicing. Period. Notice it doesn't say, "Declare his works which seem good to you with rejoicing." It doesn't say, "Declare his works which you understand with rejoicing." It says, "Declare his works with rejoicing." That means all his works.

Paul, in his letter to the church at Philippi, drives this point home by repetition.Php 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.Thanksgiving requires us to sacrifice our flesh on the altar of obedience. Let us rejoice with thanksgiving today! Let's strive to give our Saviour as much praise as we can muster from our flesh, for He is worthy.Re 7:12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Luke: AMEN brother!

Kristina: "Ya know, I just keep in mind that you can't take it with you and I've never seen a luggage rack on a herse."

I have NEVER thought of it like that. Such a good point.

Byron Gerber said...

What I struggle with is when people take advantage of my willingness to do extra work at work. It might not be in my job description but I do it to help people out even though there are others that could do and should. I want to think I don’t have to do this they can do it.

But when I bring that attitude into subjection of what the bible says I have no right to complain I don’t deserve the things I have and I try to do it with thanksgiving and rejoice that I can do it. But its hard for me to do that when I know the only reason I am doing is because someone knows I will do it if they just put it off long enough.

As for comparing yourselves to others I just always try to remember that if I compare myself to someone who has more its only far too also compare myself to someone who has less!

Hope that all makes sense to somebody if not just ignore it.

Great stuff Luke!

Anonymous said...

i can honestly say there aren't luggage racks on a hearse(; and i would also like to add that to me humbleness is a state of mind that we all know we must be in.....yet not easily attainable. WE all all have things that we consider ourselves to be good at or maybe just something that we do that no one else can. Now the next decision is whether we allow our flesh to say "Hey youre pretty good at this or youre the man!" the right reaction would be to glorify God in all things. He has made us in his image, each different yet we all came from the same creator. We all add different things to the kingdom and thats something to be thankful for!

c.l.beyer said...

Wow. I needed that today.
Thanks, Luke.

Luke said...

c.l.beyer: You're welcome. It's nice to see you comment. :) We're excited in Washington about the news that your brother-in-law is going to be joining us. God Bless.