Tuesday, November 8

Glory to God!

1 Corinthians 10:31
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.


Context: Paul has been writing to the church in Corinth about the eating of meat offered to idols. Verse 31 is where he begins to wrap it up. To paraphrase, it's as if he's thinking: "Look people, I'm really not all that concerned about whether you actually eat it or not. The physical act of eating isn't what's important here. If you eat, praise God for it. If you drink, praise God for it. Actually, whatever you do...praise God for it!" If you can't do it and praise God, then don't do it."

This principle can extend far beyond what we eat. It's as if Paul realized this while writing the letter. He wrote "eat" and "drink". Then he was like, "You know what? Just do everything for the glory of God. Then we wouldn't be having this problem."

There is a great challenge to the Christian in that word "whatsoever". That word opens the statement up to our entire lives. Every breathe we take. Everything we do. Do I bring glory to God with everything I do? Do I exist solely for Him and His glory? How many things that I do during my day would I feel foolish giving God the glory for? I think one of the more difficult aspects of this is the fact that in order to be effective in this we need to be completely, brutally honest with ourselves as we ponder our decisions and our motives. Filter everything through the perfectness of the Word.

Re 21:23
And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.


Glory is what emanates from God like heat from fire, and we, as Christians exist for that. We are to reflect God's magnificent light to everyone around us through total obedience to His Word.

Jas 4:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded
.
Lord help me to draw nigh unto Thee. Cleanse my actions and purify my motives. Help me to have Thee as my singleness of mind.
In Jesus' name,
Amen

5 comments:

Luke said...

Thanks Ayren. I love Darren :) Isn't it great when something you've recently studied comes up in conversation. :)

Stephanie said...

Luke: Thanks for the reminder! I love how you simplified Paul's statement: "Then he was like, "You know what? Just do everything for the glory of God. Then we wouldn't be having this problem." lol Preach it brother.

Luke said...

Steph: Thanks! Paraphrasing like that helps me to understand the intent of the writer some times. I have to be careful when I do that though. It can be easy to insert personal bias when I do that. So while it's often helpful it can be harmful if done inappropriately.

taryn said...

I was in need of encouragement and I seemed to find it here! Thanks for the challenge, Luke.

T

Stephanie said...

I just thought it was funny to get a "Luke Amplified Message Version"! It was cute, that's all! lol