Wednesday, March 8

Inexhaustible Love

I believe the concept of unconditional love is one which we as humans will never fully grasp. I mean true unconditional love. To love no matter what. I think that, if we could really grasp that concept, our devotion to our Father would be multiplied many times. If we could really understand how much He loves us - If we could really understand how badly He wants a relationship with us - If we could really understand how much our fellowship and worship means to Him. The story is told of a modern prodigal son who had quarreled with his parents and had left home in anger. After leading a life of partying, illicit sex and drugs, he finally boarded a train for home.

As the train neared his home, the young man related to the passenger next to him that he had written a letter to his parents, asking their forgiveness and begging them to take him back. If they wanted him to return, they were to tie a white rag to the old elm tree in the front yard.

"I can't look," he said to his seat partner. "You look for me. I'm afraid there will be no rag on the tree."

As they rounded the bend, his neighbor peered out the window and exclaimed, "Look! There's not just one rag, there are hundreds! Every branch is covered!"

This is a wonderful illustration of God's inexhaustible, unconditional love. Both the above cases remind me of Romans 8:38, "I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from his love" (NLT), and Ephesians 3:20, expressed in the classic words of the King James Version: "Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us."

2 comments:

Anon said...

I love that verse in Ephesians (though I admit I forget it sometimes). He's not only able to do above all we ask, but exceeding abundantly above all we ask. That's ... amazing.

jw said...

AMEN, The love that is illustrated by the story of the Prodigal Son almost seems conceptual. How blessed we are!