Wednesday, June 1

hmmm

So, I'm sitting here at work this morning, not a whole lot to do. I've been reading some energy usage guidelines in ASHRAE 90.1. I'm seriously considering boring you with some of the details..hmm...Did you know that lighting consumes the majority of energy in a building? That surprised me. I would've guess Air Conditioning. However, that's not far off. Cooling comes in second. Lighting accounts for 5% of total U.S. energy consumption. People should replace their standard incandescent bulbs with flourescents. It would make a huge difference. Check it out. And that's with ONE bulb!

Just 10% of the energy that goes into a standard light buld comes out as light. The remaining 90% is given off as heat! However, with a flourescent bulb almost 100% of the energy that is put into the lamp comes out as light. Cool huh?!

7 comments:

Anon said...

Guess what? Sometimes I get to read ASHRAE stuff at work, too.

So maybe some people get bored by such details, but I like hearing these things. I do think it's cool how much more usuable energy you can get out of a flourescent bulb! More people should use 'em. :)

Vince Francesi said...

should I write some code on your blog... that would surely bore EVERYONE!

I'll spare ya!

Brooke said...

You know... *becomes philsophical* I was fully prepared to mercilessly make fun of this blog entry, but then I got to thinking. It's a good thing there are crazy people out there like you who want to become engineers and learn all this math stuff; because if people like me were out trying to conquer the world with their knowledge of light bulb physics and electrical outlet electric capacity and ....and I already don't know what I am talking about.... this world would have fallen apart LONG ago.

Thanks to the crazy people who figure out the hard things so not so crazy people *ahem* (like me) can have things like light bulbs, electrical outlets, etc, etc.

Julie said...

Yup, thanks to people like Luke, Brooke can now conquer the world with her extraordinary knowledge of the Dutch language. :)

Luke said...

Thanks Julie, I was considering leaving a comment in response to Brooke, but yours is sarcastic enough to assuage me.

Brooke said...

*tsk tsk* No appreciation for my Dutch skillz. Poor guy doesn't even realize when a future world leader comments on his blog....

Mijn blog zal uiteindelijk de wereld overnemen

Luke said...

Your blog won't even take over KS, let alone the world. I can appreciate your dutch skills, but not your inclination for power.