Wednesday, June 29

What Matters (Part II)

So I was browsing some of my favorite websites this morning and came across the following article. It's sad how warped priorities can become.

Over the years, we've had plenty of cars on which we wanted our money back. Of course, all of them together wouldn't have added to a tune-up of one German businessman's automotive bane. Ferrari has refused to return the purchase price of a Ferrari 360 Stradale Challenge to the Berlin resident, who says the car is too slow. Outraged that his $200,000 supercar tops out at 175mph on the autobahn (and according to an independent expert), instead of the advertised 186mph, the man is taking Ferrari to court.

I love cars as much as the next guy, (maybe more depending on who the "next guy" is) but come on; "outraged" because of 11mph? The man was also quoted as saying "I could've bought a Porsche for much less and got this performance."

I wonder if this man knows or understands that Jesus died for him? I wonder if he knows that it's easier for a camel to pass through the needle's eye than it is for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven. That's not a literal needle's eye. This needle's eye refers to a small opening in the wall to the city that you had to come through if you arrived after the doors where shut. A camel would have to get down on it's knees to pass through, thus making it very difficult. Christ isn't saying it's "impossible" for rich men to inherit the kingdom, just that it's hard.

So often we tend to consider "things of this world" to be blessings. My favorite definition of a blessing is this: "Anything we've been given that draws us to a closer walk with Christ." By that definition riches and things of this world can be blessings if used correctly, but just the fact that they make life easier or mor comfortable does NOT make them blessings. Would your house be a blessing if you put it's care and upkeep before your walk with Christ? Would your job be a blessing if pursuing it meant compromising your Christian principles? I could go on and on, but we each know our own things in our lives that we call blessings, yet we so easily forget to use them to bring glory and honor to the Father.

Hold your blessings in an open palm recognizing always that we are but stewards and ALL things are our Fathers.

7 comments:

Tifani said...

I've been reading the Mark of the Lion's books and that is something that has really hit home. We are given blessing not to just be blessed, but God gives us blessings so that we may help others. Thanks for your thoughts.

Julie said...

Paul said, "For now we see through a glass darkly, but then face to face." These things are our dark glass. The things of Christ are dimmed by the things that tempt us and lure our focus away. In this world we will find the most contentment and the most satisfaction not by the glass being cleared (because that task is saved for Heaven), but not being distracted by the darkness and focusing not on the bugs and streaks and ugliness of the glass, but fixing our gaze resolutely on the other side.

Julie said...

Tifani - I LOVED those books. I learned so much from them.

Luke said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those leaving comments. I realize looking back that when I post spiritual thoughts on my blog, I was expecting to get very few, if any, comments. It's more encouraging than you know to hear everyone elses thoughts. :) Keep thinking for Christ!

Anon said...

I was just thinking about this story and how it's so easy to turn the material blessings God gives us to use for His glory into something that winds up being more of a curse.
Maybe that's part of why while we feel sorry for Christians in third-world countries or countries that persecute Christians... we hear that they feel sorry for us who are so "blessed."
Usually I hope God never gives me more difficulties than I can handle, but right now I'm realizing I should also hope God never gives me more "blessings" than I can handle.

megs said...

i would love to add something to this awesome blog, but i can't say anything that hasn't already been said. thanks again for reminding all of us (esp. me) how often we take simple things for granted and then complain when things don't go our way. but we all need to remember that life isn't always all about us!! (referance to HS girls camp "it's not about me!!")

megan
psalm 115:1- Not unto US, O Lord, not unto us, but to YOUR name give glorybecause of YOUR mercy, because of YOUR truth.

Anonymous said...

Not to rainburst on your parade-bubble, but the thing about the "eye of the needle" being non-literal is not a well-established fact...

http://www.biblicalhebrew.com/nt/camelneedle.htm