Tuesday, June 28

What Matters?

Wal-Mart heir John T. Walton died yesterday when an experimental ultra-light aircraft he was piloting crashed.

"I think all you can say is he was just a good man and today, you grieve," Jay Allen, Wal-Mart senior vice president of corporate affairs, told The Morning News of Springdale.

When I read that it made me wonder what people would say about me if I died. What would my colleagues say about me?

In March, Forbes magazine listed John Walton as No. 11 on its list of the world's richest people with a net worth of $18.2 billion.

Read the Yahoo news article here

As I read the article I thought of Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Not that I thought the article was about boasting, but rather my mind went to the Biblical concept of Faith Based Salvation. Romans 3 and Romans 4 are excellent chapters to remind us that we can not earn salvation no matter what works we achieve here on this earth. We are as filthy rags in the sight of a perfectly holy God. Only through Christ's imputed (Romans 4:24) righteousness may we approach the throne.

Good works should spring forth from our lives, as fruit, out of a loving and infinitely thankful heart for what Christ has suffered for us, not out of a attitude of "earning" Christ's love.

God Bless.

3 comments:

dixie said...

I agree and I am going through a time in my life right now where living by faith and not works is more important, but it is hard. Thanks for the reminder and I needed it. It was good to see your parents in church last Sunday. I am glad your dad is up and around, but i'm sure it is stressful. And, I still cannot believe Kristin is getting married. Wow! I had a couple family reunions last weekend and decided I'm good for a lifetime now!!

jane said...

Wow. Stories like this always make me realize how short life really is, and how quickly it can be snatched away. It also leads me to ponder what I am doing with my life. If I die tomorrow, would I have regrets with how I'm living my life today? Am I living for myself, or for God?

What great points about not being able to earn salvation! It is so comforting to know that we are loved unconditionally, and do not have to work to earn God's love, or our salvation. The price was already paid...what ineffable Grace!

megs said...

luke- i too have been thinking lately about death. what if i died today? what would people say about me? what if i died and someone (like my sister) didn't know how much i loved them b/c my actions don't always show how much i really do? how awful would it be if i died and someone i come in cantanct w/ everyday didn't know how much i truely cared for them?? thanks for the gentel reminder of how short life really is!
meg
PS- luke (and everyone else who reads this that i know) thank you for your friendship and brotherly love! it has meant a lot to me!! (now let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya!!)