Wednesday, October 5

Humor

I needed a little humor this morning. Here's what I found.
1. Custom at Duquesne University dictated that if a professor was ten minutes late, class was canceled. One professor arrived early for a 9 a.m. lecture. He placed his hat on his desk, and went to the faculty room. Before he knew it, it was 9:10. By the time he got back to his classroom, it was empty. The next day, he let his students have it. "When my hat is here," he fumed, "I'm here!" The following day, the professor arrived at 9 a.m. He was met by the sight of 28 hats on 28 desks -- and no students.
--Joke Contributed by Albert I. Raizman


2. Twice a year, we change the clocks for daylight-savings time. And twice a year, my normally punctual assistant arrives late to work the Monday after we do so. I finally had to find out why. "Do you have a problem remembering to spring forward or fall back?" I asked. "Oh, no," she said, pouring herself a cup of coffee. "What gets to me is staying up until 2 a.m. to change my clock."
--Joke Contributed by Nancy M. Payne


3. Our manager at the restaurant where I worked was a much beloved, jovial man. But there was one subject you didn't dare discuss in front of him -- his height. Or, should I say, his lack of it. One day, he stormed through the door and announced angrily, "Someone just picked my pocket!" Most of my fellow waitresses and I were speechless, except for the one who blurted out, "How could anyone stoop so low?"
--Joke Contributed by Bette Moeggenborg


4. When I was a kid, my dad and I had a running joke. If anyone asked what he did for a living, I was to reply, "He's a sports mechanic. He fixes boxing matches and horse races." Once, I answered a teacher this way. She flipped out and summoned my parents. Dad calmed her down by explaining it was a joke. "So what do you do?" she asked. Dad, a sales rep for a pharmaceutical company, said, "I sell drugs."
--Joke Contributed by Gina Bennicasa


5. Traveling salesmen make their living visiting as many customers as possible. So speeding to get from one appointment to the next is not unheard-of. Which is how I got pulled over by a highway patrolman. "Don't you ever look at the speedometer?" the officer scolded. Before I knew it, the truth spilled from my mouth. "As fast as I was going," I admitted, "I was afraid to take my eyes off the road."
--Joke Contributed by Walt Lile

Have you ever thought about our sense of humor? Isn't it a wonderful gift! Yet we all have a little different sense of it. Does your family have any jokes or sayings that they find funny that no one else would find even slightly amusing? Mine definitely does. We have little one-liners that have stemmed from stories we've told. The one-liners tell very little about the actual account, but they remind us of it, and we can share a chuckle. (chuckle's a funny word!)

Let me know your favorite one, and tell me what you think my favorite one would be. We'll see how similar our sense of humors are. :)

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the jokes. They came from Readers Digest

18 comments:

Anon said...

Thanks Luke.
I needed humor this morning, too.
As for which is my/your favorite...I haven't had time to read 'em all yet. Engl 415 is starting :(

Anon said...

They're all funny, but my favorite's #4.
And I'm gonna guess your favorite is...#4, too.
Although I already know we don't quite have the same sense of humor, 'cause you don't think my favorite joke is very funny at all. :)

Our God-given sense of humor is interesting, isn't it? Different people have such varying senses of humor...and yet we all agree that humor is fun. Everyone likes to laugh. Which makes me think of Proverbs 17:22

Reading the word "chuckle" made me chuckle. The people around me are giving me funny looks...

Anon said...

wow, that was kind of a long comment

Stephanie said...

My favorite was #1, with #2 being a close runner-up. I'm guessing your favorite is #4... just a hunch. :)

Blessings!

taryn said...

I'm the exact same as Stephanie- I like #1 the best, with #2 as a runner-up, and I guess that your favorite is #4.

I love humor. I love laughing. It is my favorite. I love laughing when nothing is even really that funny, but you and someone else are just rolling on the floor. Isn't that the best feeling? Not only is it a mood-booster, but it is a good ab workout! There's a quote that says, "Laughing is the shortest distance between two people."

I don't like it when people don't "get" my humor. I'll say something sarcastically and they'll look at me like, "Are you serious? You are evil..."

My favorite laughing buddies are:
Kristi Daniel, Trish Plattner, Tracy Zimmerman, and Laura Braker. Those girls make laughing FUN!

Isn't it funny how humor is classified differently, too? Like dry humor, sarcasm (aren't those the same?)... wait, if there's a dry humor, then is there a "wet" humor?

Ok. This post is so long it's not even funny. Ha ha! I love puns. Luke, you found a subject dear to my heart. So consequently, that means a long comment on my part. Thanks! And BTW- it was fun playing volleyball with AND against you last night! Good workout, good times! We'll do it again sometime.

T

Kristi said...

Aw, I'm someone's laughing buddy. That makes me smile... My favorite was #1 and #3 tied. I think I liked #3 because I'm short and I don't know...the short jokes are funny. I have zero clue which one would be your favorite. I'm not even going to try and guess. I love laughing and it works out your abs...so it's good to laugh a lot cause it gets you in shape :)

steve said...

i hate to laugh.

;-)

Kristi said...

Apparently guessing wasn't an option... so I'm told I have to guess.

I'm guessing that Luke's favorite is number 5. Because no one's guessed that yet.

sarah said...

My favorite is a tie between 1 and 3. My guess for you is 4. That seems to be the consensus.(sp?)

Anonymous said...

so I have a funny story....
I was walking home from DQ one fine afternoon with Taryn (aka T) and Sarah (hodel) and we were talking about learning how to waterski on one ski. We were saying how it was hard to get up on one, so sometimes people get up on two skis and will kick a ski off. Sarah then asked "what you do w/ the ski you kick off"...to which Taryn proudly says "well, you hold it (with a 'everyone knows that' attitude)". Being a skiing myself, I could not believe my ears and asked her to repeat what she said thinking i heard something wrong. OH no! T truly thought that you kicked off a ski, balance one foot on the other ski and reach down and pick up the ski in the water all while going 30 mfp and not falling... right. needless to say, I got a big chuckle outta that one and have never let T live it down.
The other sad thing is that Sarah would have believed her had i not been there...
oh and did i mention that this was about 2 months ago???? (yes i'm serious)

daniel said...

My favorite is definitely #4, made me laugh out loud in lab. I wondering today (as I pour over the crazier parts of biology) that God must have a sense of humor.

Thanks Luke

Luke said...

Gab: Man, we should all be so lucky to have a friend as cool and brilliant as you! If it wasn't for you poor T would still be wandering thinking she had to pick up the ski hold it...and poor Sarah..well, we won't even go there. Thank goodness for Gab. :)

p.s. You'd better be careful, you're going to become a regular around here. ;)

p.p.s. I'd like that though.

gsfolxw

taryn said...

Gab- thanks for that. I love it when I can be a source of humor for others. It's my favorite (being laughed at), aside from laughing.

Anyway, I'd just like to let you ALL know that I have the amazing ability to kick one ski off and grab it with my hand and hold onto it for at least a mile. Then I just fall. So that's why I made that comment- I thought that everyone else was as talented as me, but it turns out that the rest of the world just has to kick a ski off and come get it later. Bummer.

T
p.s. I'm kidding.

Me said...

Luke,

Ok, 4 was good, I'll admit it. But 3 was the best. And since yer a bright young man, I am going to say that you found that one to be your favorite.

You don't like Dona's joke about the mountain climber and the mountain goat?

For shame!

Luke said...

I'll share my favorite tomorrow sometime in a post. And no...the "scalar" joke...whew...I just don't know about that.

Chelsie said...

1 & 3 --No question about it!

I have to tell another cop joke:

So this guy gets pulled over for going 40 miles over the speed limit.
Officer: Sir, there is no excuse for this kind of speeding!
Guy: Officer I was just trying to keep up with traffic!
Officer: But there's no one anywhere around you.
Guy: See that's how far I am behind!

Tina said...

Ok #4 is the best with #5 bieng a strong runner up.

I love to laugh, and I have noticed that my laughter is usually contagious.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #2 said...

Ha! Ha! Ha!