Wednesday, February 9

Wednesday night of Conviction

Wow...idols. So often we read the old testament and think that idol worship doesn't apply to us at all, since we'd never dream of bowing to a piece of gold. Or would we? What in our mind draws us away from a perfect walk with Christ? That is our idol. For some it may be that clean kitchen floor that someone just got dirty. We allow that to bring up a spring of bad thoughts, angry words, or mean looks. Definitely not Christ like. So...a kitchen floor could be an idol? Well, then what idols have I allowed into my life that make me less like Christ?

Even things that are "good things" can become an idol if they make us less Christ-like. For instance, say I want to get to church on time. That's an honorable thing right? Ok, so in order to do so I'm chewing out my roommate who's running behind, I cut 2 people off in traffic and don't care, and I make it on time. Getting to church made me do things that were very un-Christ-like, so in that instance it was an idol. It seperated me from Christ's love and example.

Another Wednesday night challenge was this. If we had a tape recorder strapped to our shoulder that was recording every word we said this week, and we knew at the end of the week it would be played back to the entire church, would we act/speak differently? I would. I feel like I have a long way to go before I could be comfortable with everyone in church hearing my daily conversations.

Well, I have a lot to work on now! I hope you do to! Please leave your thoughts and be sure to sign them if you don't have a blogspot account. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony Wuz Here. Pretty cool Luke :-)

Anonymous said...

this is sis sandy - This made me think!! To take it one more step- What if the church not only heard a tape recording of your words, but also our thoughts. Then to remember that God does have a complete record of all that we say and do. Aren't we thankful He is merciful and long suffering. I know that I have a lot of work to do, with His Grace. I love you Luke! Thanks for the molding thought.

Luke said...

That's neat that you posted that Sandy, because that is exactly what the minister wrapped up with too! Thanks for posting!